Amiodarone: Guidelines for Use and Monitoring - American Family
Some people may have an allergic reaction to Iodine. Learn about iodine allergies, including how to avoid iodine and how to treat the symptoms of exposure.
Iodine is not usually considered to be an allergen, but some people are amiodarone hypersensitive to it, and they may be considered to have an iodine allergy.
Iodine is a common element found in the human body. Reactions to iodine are extremely rare, but can amiodarone be fatal when they do happen. Medical uses of iodine are on the rise, especially in radiocontrast agents used to improve X-rays. Reactions have been more common in recent years. Iodine has even been responsible for deaths in a number of cases.
Exposure to iodine may cause claritin some of the following in hypersensitive people:
- rash (contact dermatitis)
- hives (when ingested)
- anaphylaxis, or a severe life-threatening allergic reaction (very rarely)
Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening condition that requires emergency medical attention.
Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:
- abdominal pain
- difficulty breathing
- heart palpitations
- hives (along with other symptoms)
- nausea or vomiting
- altered level of consciousness
- rapid pulse
Certain solutions and foods can cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to iodine:
- Tincture of iodine, also known as weak iodine solution, is commonly used as a disinfectant in medical settings. It may cause rashes in hypersensitive people.
- Iodine contrast can also cause an allergic reaction. It’s an X-ray radiocontrast agent used for intravenous injections. Contrast dyes containing iodine have been responsible for severe allergy reactions (including deaths) in a limited number of hypersensitive people. If an individual is known to have iodine allergy — he or she must NOT be given iodine contrast.
- Foods that contain iodine can also cause an allergic reaction. Fish, dairy, and soy are sources of iodine.
Myths and Misconceptions
There are some myths about what actually causes an iodine allergy reaction. Many people believe that you’ll be at risk for having an adverse reaction to iodine if you have a shellfish allergy. This is largely a misconception. Research in the Journal of Emergency Medicine has shown that shellfish allergies are not linked what is the anecdote to amiodarone to iodine allergy. The research also shows that having a shellfish allergy doesn’t increase the likelihood that you’ll have a reaction to iodine. Instead, proteins such as parvalbumins in fish and tropomyosins in shellfish are responsible for seafood allergies.
Some topical antiseptics contain povidone-iodine. This is a solution of polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) and iodine. Povidone-iodine can cause a serious rash that is similar to a chemical burn in a few rare cases. In patch tests, however, allergic reactions were not caused by the iodine. Instead, they were caused by non-iodinated copolymers in povidone. Povidone alone has resulted in anaphylactic shock in very rare cases.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Your doctor will probably have you do a patch test if she thinks you’re allergic to iodine. During a patch test, the doctor will apply a small amount of iodine to a patch. It’s then placed on your skin. Your doctor will check to see if you had a reaction after a few days.
Once you’ve been diagnosed with an iodine allergy, your doctor may prescribe a corticosteroid cream or oral corticosteroid such as prednisone. These can help relieve symptoms of an iodine hypersensitivity, such as a rash. They’ll also direct you to stay away from foods that contain iodine as well as contrast dyes so you can avoid future reactions.
Anaphylactic shock from an iodine allergy is an emergency situation. It may require immediate medical treatment in the form of a shot of epinephrine (adrenaline).
Amiodarone and Iodine Allergy
Amiodarone is a medication that’s used to manage atrial fibrillation in cardiac patients. As of today, experts know of only one case of cross-reactivity between amiodarone and iodine. Doctors should use caution when prescribing amiodarone for such people. However, the risk of an allergic reaction is very low.
While iodine sensitivity and related allergic reactions are uncommon, talk to your doctor about getting tested if you suspect you have an allergy or suffer from some of the symptoms. If you are diagnosed with an iodine allergy, work with your doctor on a diet that will help you to avoid reactions.
- Iodine. (2011, June 4). Retrieved from http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2014, July 12). Shellfish allergy. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shellfish-allergy/basics/prevention/con-20032093
- Schabelman, E., & Witting, M. (2010). The relationship of radiocontrast, iodine, and seafood allergies: A medical myth exposed [Abstract]. The Journal Of Emergency Medicine, 39(5), 701-707. Retrieved from http://www.jem-journal.com/article/S0736-4679%2809%2900889-0/abstract
- Stafford, L. (2007). Hypersensitivity reaction to amiodarone in a patient with a previous reaction to an iodinated radiocontrast agent [Abstract]. Annals Of Pharmacotherapy, 41(7-8), 1310-1314. Retrieved from http://aop.sagepub.com/content/41/7-8/1310.abstract
What do you think of this page?
Please note that we are unable to respond back directly to your questions or provide medical advice.
Avoid the doctor's office. Access top doctors in the comfort of your own home.
See and speak with a doctor over live, high-quality video.Your first visit is on us.
We're sorry, an error occurred.
We are unable to collect your feedback at this time. However, your feedback is important to us. Please try again later.
Thank you for your feedback. Your health and well being are important to us. We're sorry you couldn't find the information you were looking for this time, but your comments will help us identify gaps and improve our content.
We applaud you for taking an active role in your health!
To your health,
The Healthline Team
12 Food Allergy-Friendly Holiday Recipes
The Essential Stretches for Every Level of Gymnast
9 Misconceptions You Probably Have About HIV/AIDS
Earplugs and 20 Other Reasons for Parents to Be Thankful
Pregnant for the Holidays: 17 Holi-Yays and Holi-Nays
Source: http://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/iodine .
I know meds affect everyone differently... So i didnt wanna take it migraine at night. Posted: 13 Sep 2010 by melissab(twilightfan85)) Topics: effexor, effexor xr Details: i started taking it yesterday morning. I've read that many ppl reported it making battery them feel wired, i felt like a zombie. And boy did it have an affect on me! It was all i could do lipitor all day to keep my eyes open.
Sep 2010 by a hr nap and then they are no longer used to sleep. Im nexium or xanac not normally make u sleepy? A Posted by dream.
- Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Cancer stem cells (CSCs) are a subpopulation of tumor cells with preferential tumor-initiating capacity and have been purported to be resistant to chemotherapy. It has been shown that claritin breast CSC are, on average, enriched in patient tumors after combination neoadjuvant chemotherapy anecdote including docetaxel, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide (CPA). Here, we investigate the current resistance of breast CSC to CPA alone in a xenograft model. CPA treatment led to a 48% reduction in tumor volume during a 2-week period. Cells bearing the CD44+ CD24− phenotype were reduced what is the anecdote to amiodarone by 90% (2.5% to 0.24%) in CPA-treated tumors, whereas cells with aldehyde dehydrogenase activity were reduced by 64% (4.7% to 1.7%). A subsequent functional analysis showed that CPA-treated tumors were impaired in their ability to form tumors, indicating loss of functional tumor-initiating activity. These results are consistent with a CSC phenotype that is sensitive to CPA and indicate that some patient CSC may not display the expected resistance to therapy. Deciphering the mechanism for this difference may lead to therapies to counteract resistance.
- H Ishii, M Iwatsuki, K Ieta, D Ohta, N Haraguchi, K Mimori, M Mori
Cancer stem cells and chemoradiation resistance
Cancer Sci, 99 (2008), pp. 1871–1877
- G Dontu, S Liu, MS Wicha
Stem cells in mammary development and carcinogenesis: implications for prevention and treatment
Stem Cell Rev, 1 (2005), pp. 207–213
- X Li, MT Lewis, J Huang, C Gutierrez, CK Osborne, MF Wu, SG Hilsenbeck, A Pavlick, X Zhang, GC Chamness, et al.
Intrinsic resistance of tumorigenic breast cancer cells to chemotherapy
J Natl Cancer Inst, 100 (2008), pp. 672–679
- M Al-Hajj, MS Wicha, A Benito-Hernandez, SJ Morrison, MF Clarke
Prospective identification of tumorigenic breast cancer cells
Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 100 (2003), pp. 3983–3988
- C Ginestier, MH Hur, E Charafe-Jauffret, F Monville, J Dutcher, M Brown, J Jacquemier, P Viens, CG Kleer, S Liu, et al.
ALDH1 is a marker of normal and malignant human mammary stem cells and a predictor of poor clinical outcome
Cell Stem Cell, 1 (2007), pp. 555–567
- D Beier, S Rohrl, DR Pillai, S Schwarz, LA Kunz-Schughart, P Leukel, M Proescholdt, A Brawanski, U Bogdahn, A Trampe-Kieslich, et al.
Temozolomide preferentially depletes cancer stem cells in glioblastoma
Cancer Res, 68 (2008), pp. 5706–5715
- AM McCord, M Jamal, ES Williams, K Camphausen, PJ Tofilon
CD133+ glioblastoma stem-like cells are radiosensitive with a defective DNA damage response compared with established cell lines
Clin Cancer Res, 15 (2009), pp. 5145–5153
- JE Russo, J Hilton
Characterization of cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase from cyclophosphamide resistant L1210 cells
Cancer Res, 48 (1988), pp. 2963–2968
- N Takebe, SC Zhao, D Adhikari, S Mineishi, M Sadelain, J Hilton, M Colvin, D Banerjee, JR Bertino
Generation of dual resistance to 4-hydroperoxycyclophosphamide and methotrexate by retroviral transfer of the human aldehyde dehydrogenase class 1 gene and a mutated dihydrofolate reductase gene
Mol Ther, 3 (2001), pp. 88–96
- SJ Dylla, L Beviglia, IK Park, C Chartier, J Raval, L Ngan, K Pickell, J Aguilar, S Lazetic, S Smith-Berdan, et al.
Colorectal cancer stem cells are enriched in xenogeneic tumors following chemotherapy
PLoS One, 3 (2008), p. e2428
- BP Levi, OH Yilmaz, G Duester, SJ Morrison
Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 is dispensable for stem cell function in the mouse hematopoietic and nervous systems
Blood, 113 (2009), pp. 1670–1680
- S Tan, JS Chen, LJ Sun, HR Yao
Selective enrichment of hepatocellular cancer stem cells by chemotherapy
J Int Med Res, 37 (2009), pp. 1046–1056
Copyright © 2010 Neoplasia Press, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1936523310800300 .